Elongated terracotta lamp with a short twisted
handle, the nozzle lacking a channel, which is
instead marked by longitudinal lines. The
shoulders are wide and the filling hole is
relatively small. Decoration on the shoulder
includes floral motifs and grape vines. The
handle is short and twisted above the lamp,
without touching it.
These lamps dating back to the Islamic period,
were mainly found around Jerusalem, but also in
other parts of Israel, such as Beit Shean, Atlit and
Ashdod, all datable between the 12th and the
13th century AD.
For a comparable oil lamp cf: Noam Adler, Oil
Lamps of the Holy Land, 2004: pl.1007-8, p.