Islamic Art :
Islamic Collection/HK : Pair of glass amphora-type vases with floral decoration
Pair of glass amphora-type vases with floral decoration - RL.0922
Origin: Vienna, Austria
17.75" (45.1cm) high
x 12" (30.5cm) wide
Collection: Glass For The Islamic Market
Style: Decorative Arts
Additional Information: Currently at Barakat Hong Kong
| Photo Gallery
Pale green glass amphora-type vases, created by
the workshop of Lobbyer, in Vienna, beautifully
enamelled and gilt, decorated by delicate floral
and intricate vegetal motifs and bearing Islamic
inscriptions in the zone of the neck.
J. & L. Lobmeyr is a Viennese family owned
glassware company founded in 1823. Regardless
of having the company's headquarters and main
workshops in Vienna, the company developed
further professional relationships with Bohemian
glassworks and glass making companies,
opening in 1906 an office in Karlovy Vary.
J. & L. Lobmeyr became purveyors for the
Imperial Court providing crystal chandeliers for
the Schönbrunn Palace, and besides the Emperor
Franz Ferdinand, among their clients were the
King of Belgium, the Duke of Brabant and the
Court of Flanders.
The Lobmeyr firm also had a partnership with
Thomas Edison, co-developing the first electric
chandeliers in the world, in 1883.
In the 19th and 20th century their clients include
the Vienna State and the Metropolitan Opera, the
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
and the Kremlin.